Thursday, October 11, 2012

A Doll's Beach



It shouldn’t surprise anyone that the world of video game programming remains predominately male.  Video games, as well as their packaging, seem geared entirely towards the infamous “Male Gaze.” It’s an influence that surfaces throughout the entertainment world. It’s why, in the movie industry, “empowerment” and “half naked” remain so easily confused. It’s why female characters in comic books can’t seem to shop for clothing that covers more than ten percent of their bodies.
            Sure, the girls in Sucker Punch wear sexy clothing, but it is an action movie. How many times have we seen male, action stars take off their shirts for no apparent reason? Male characters in comic books possess biceps larger than NBA-approved basketballs.
However, in the gaming world, the male gaze runs amok to the point of complete lunacy.
            It’s almost as if the creators of certain video games have never actually seen a real, live female. The female cast of the Dead or Alive franchise serves as perfect examples.
Dead or Alive is a series of fighting games that has, for years, featured perfect-bodied individuals who couldn’t stop beating the snot out of each other. Eventually, Team Ninja decided to create a spin off series (Beach Volleyball), in which their female characters put on bikinis, prance around on the beach, and engage each other in such challenges as jumping and giggling. It’s rather generous to call it a “game,” really.
I can’t say that I didn’t enjoy watching it, though (at least the first edition, but more on that later). Female geographies have a wonderful and distracting habit of filling my blood with happy chemicals. I naturally want to defend what makes me happy.
As much as I want to stand up for Dead or Alive Beach Volleyball, its developers haven’t given me much with which to work. I want to argue that I most certainly can enjoy looking at a female while still respecting her as a human being (Yes. I know. We’re not truly discussing human beings so much as lines of computer code, but you get the idea). I defy anyone to play Beach Volleyball and share with me a single characteristic regarding a single character.
This is because at no point are any such characteristics expressed. The characters really haven’t any. If you do a little research, you can learn these characters’ backstories, but good luck connecting those dots to anything that takes place in the game.
Despite this, I’m unconvinced that there’s anything wrong with it. A person might argue that such a game dehumanizes women, but I would have to counter with the observation that fewer feminists took issue with these same girls kicking the crap out of each other as they did in the original Dead or Alive franchise.
How is it less dehumanizing to depict a person beating a woman in the face before tossing her headlong into an electric fence, rather than depicting that same woman dancing around half naked?
(Interesting side note: To purchase the violent Dead or Alive, game, you must be of thirteen years of age or older. To purchase the sexy version, you must be eighteen. Something to think about.)
Someone else might argue that Beach Volleyball reverses the Women’s Rights Movement. While I can’t claim to know what circulates in the minds of others, I can swear that I’ve never watched a woman in a bikini (real or computer generated) and thought to myself, “That settles it. She gets paid two-thirds what I make.”
(Another side note: Equal Pay for Equal Work has yet to see actualization.)
I’ve meandered from my earlier point, though, haven’t I? Several lines ago, I questioned whether the creators of these games had ever seen a real woman. My doubts arise from the depictions of female characters in several games. Let’s alight upon the most relevant, given the earlier references of this article.
In Dead or Alive Beach Volleyball 2, someone replaced the female characters with strange, life-size dolls whose breasts seemed filled with Jell-O. At that point, I discovered myself flashing back to all the female characters found in comic books, the sort whose bodies fail to make any sort of mathematical sense.
This is the point where I get annoyed. Not because these characters insult the notion that women possess anything more noteworthy than their bodies, but because the bodies I’m watching don’t even look like women.
If you’re going to appeal to gamers via half naked woman, get the woman right. At the risk of rolling your eyes, I’m going to add another suggestion. Personalities and actual skills can be very sexy. I haven’t a problem with sticking large breasts on a female character, but I ask that those breasts look biologically feasible. I furthermore ask that the developers don’t stop at large breasts. If sexy is a developer’s goal, that developer must dig deeper than large breasts alone.
(Final side note: Our military has employed countless female soldiers. How often do you see a female option when you construct a character in a military based video game?)
I’m not asking video game developers to tone down the sexy. Quite the opposite. I’m a heterosexual, human male. I therefore like women with human bodies and human qualities. If Team Ninja adds these to Beach Volleyball 3, the changes will serve them well.

No comments:

Post a Comment